Sunday, October 26, 2014

All About Me

If you asked my closest friends one way to describe me they would say, "Preacher's Kid." Born to a deacon and now youth pastor, I have been literally been raised in church all my life (even before I was born). Sunday mornings, Sunday evenings, and Wednesday nights you will find me at church. Why? Because I'm the youth pastor's kid! I have lived in Hot Springs, Arkansas my entire life. My parents have been married for 28 years. I have an older sister, Mandi, who works at Belk in Hot Springs and she also attends Henderson State University. My younger brother, Sean, is a eighth grader at Mountain Pine High School. He enjoys playing sports! 





I love technology and am very advanced in all aspects of it! At my church, I serve as Media Director. During the summer, I am super busy volunteering as a Church Camp Counselor/Assistant Camp Director to our 5th-12th Grade students. I also have been the Vacation Bible School Director for the past two years, and I look forward to year three. I am fortunately blessed to work for a wonderful Christian organization in the summer, Hot Springs Family YMCA. I have worked for Hot Springs Family YMCA for the past two summers. My first summer I worked at the Mountain Pine Summer Day Camp site, and my second summer I worked at the main site as a Camp Counselor. 

I am very passionate about helping children and love working with children! My favorite thing about working with children is the impact you leave on them and the blessings you receive as you mold them into an adult. Here at Henderson State University, I am a student studying Middle School Mathematics and Social Studies Education. I want to be a math teacher because math was once my hardest subject and I want to be a role model to show students you can go from math being your worst subject to your best subject! I believe that ALL students can learn not matter their educational status is. 


I am starting this blog for my Educational Technology class with Dr. Benton at school. As you read this blog, I will tell stories about things that have happened in my life. I have a rather unique life and I would like to share it with anyone who is interested in it. I will do my best to blog at least one per week. 

13 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading your blogs considering how advanced you are in technology! Your blog about the effects of social networking was very informative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I myself have never directed a VBS but I absolutely love working at my church's! The children are amazing and I always leave so happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VBS is the greatest resource for kids interaction with their friends during the summer! I know when I get stressed just to look at the children's faces and it makes me feel relieved and so blessed!

      Delete
  3. High five to the fellow preacher's kid! My dad has been preaching at the same church since before I was born, so I was raised in church also. I sense that you are a kindred spirit. Looking forward to reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that's awesome! So many churches today pastors do not last for more than 5 years, so to be at the same church as pastor for 20+ years is remarkable!

      Delete
  4. That's really great how passionate you are about church and all that you do to serve Him! I also really like how you're determined to show kids that you can overcome obstacles by being a math teacher when you struggled with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this life you are promised 2 things death and you'll pay taxes. When judgment day comes, I want to hear Him say, "Well done my good and faithful servant." So until that day comes I will do all I can to glorify Him!

      Thank you Math is my passion now just hit a bump in the road to show me what my passion was!

      Delete
  5. Corey, meeting you here at Henderson freshman year I already have the joy of knowing your passions. But it's awesome to get to know the background from your post. Looking forward to learning more from you in your next posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrianna! I truly enjoy getting to know you more each day!

      Delete
  6. I'm so excited to see someone post about their faith. I think it is so awesome what you have already accomplished and look forward to seeing posts about your future accomplishments! In a world that is so full of evil and people trying to knock down the beliefs of followers of Christ, it's refreshing to see someone like you! Math has been something I have always struggled with, so I applaud you for what you have overcome and your passion to show others that they can too! Good luck with everything and God bless you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can say that it's not what I do, but what God does! My first VBS we had 9 saved, and this past one we had no direct salvation during the week of VBS but later on we 7 salvation/rededications/membership transfers because of VBS & God's timing!

      Delete
  7. I love working with children too! Being able to work with kids is most definitely a gift from God. Watching a child grow and leading them into the right direction is one of the most rewarding jobs!

    ReplyDelete